When I think of how to accept love and respect, I think of my parents. High school sweethearts, best friends, devoted partners, and smart business owners. They amassed an empire all on their own that took love, openness, risk, and sacrifice. They learned a powerful lesson about trusting each other and learning to accept the love and respect they had for one another.
One of the biggest reasons relationships fail is that we don’t know how to accept love and respect from our partners. Not many people have what my parents have had, most of us don’t find this type of relationship until after we have had our hearts broken a lot. Then we find this type of relationship and we feel lost and unable to accept the love that is flowing from our partner.
Learning how to accept love and respect in a committed relationship is just as important as giving love and respect to our partner.
The Plan: How To Accept Love and Respect
The first step of how to accept love and respect is to be open to the type of love you deserve and to be mindful of how to respect your partner be respected by your partner.
- Write the date at the top
- Write the quote I am sharing below
- Write out your own definitions of love and respect
- Write down a time in your life when you felt truly loved and respected by anyone
- Write down how you responded to the love and respect from this peron
- Write down how it made you feel to be loved and respected
- Write down this statement, “I am worthy of love and respect because I [put your reason here, for example, because I am good to others, I care deeply for others, etc.]. I give myself permission to send and receive love and respect from others. I am a/an [pick a word, for example, loving, trustworthy, confident, good, etc.] person. I value my ability to [what ability you value in yourself, for example, listen, comfort others, provide compassion for others, etc.]. I will honor myself by [write what you will do to honor yourself, for example, being careful who I give my loving energy to, choosing to be around people who care about me, etc.].”
- draw a picture of the first thing that comes to mind (Remember that art skills do not matter in this drawing, but the act of drawing out your internal image is very cleansing.)
Quote for the Day
Today’s quote comes from Danielle LaPorte’s #TruthBombs app. #TruthBombs are little delicious doses of oracle truths to help you stay focused on what is important. To download the app, and have your own #TruthBomb, click here.
After writing the quote and all the pieces of the journal entry for today, write how you can use this quote to focus on how to accept love and respect.
An Extra Resource for How to Accept Love and Respect
Here are some of the best Ted Talks about love and respect. They are all equally awesome and well worth the short watch.
Quick Exercise To Learn to Accept Love and Respect
Here is a great meditation video from Kat Beck for a self love guided meditation practice designed to open you up to love and accept yourself.
- Ted Talk Playlist on How to Make Love Last
- How To Develop A Relationship Based On Love And Respect – Better Help
- Partners Who Respect One Another Always Do These 10 Things – Fatherly
- How to Accept Someone for Who They Are in a Relationship – Inspiring Tips
- 25 Ways You Can Show Respect to Your Partner – Psychology Today
- How To Gain More Power In Your Relationship – Bustle
- Day 3: How to Heal from Rejection – Niki Maria